The new issue of Spirit magazine celebrates acts of kindness that resonate across the Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon campus and beyond. From Valley Catholic Elementary School students to Sisters who will celebrate Jubilees in 2018 to volunteers at Maryville, these moving stories offer an important reminder.
Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for kindness.
Hermes Creative Awards
Spirit magazine received three awards in the 2017 Hermes Creative Awards, an international competition for creative professionals involved in the concept, writing and design of traditional materials and programs, and emerging technologies. Entries come from corporate marketing and communication departments, advertising agencies, PR firms, graphic design shops, production companies, web and digital creators and freelancers.
- Editor Barbara Kerr, APR, Fellow PRSA, and Graphic Designer Todd Sargood received a gold award in the overall publication (magazine) category.
- Todd Sargood received a gold award for his design of the “Making History” issue (fall 2016-winter 2017).
- Barbara Kerr received a gold award for writing for the “Changing Lives” issue (spring-summer 2016).
Spirit magazine received three awards in the 2016 Hermes Creative Awards.
- Editor Barbara Kerr, APR, Fellow PRSA, and Graphic Designer Todd Sargood received a platinum award (top honors) in the overall publication (magazine) category.
- Graphic Designer Todd Sargood received two gold awards for design: publication overall for the “Our Campus as a Canvas” issue (fall 2015-winter 2016) and publication cover for the “One Campus. One Community. One World.” issue (spring-summer 2015).
Spirit also received a platinum award in the 2016 MarCom Awards, an international competition for marketing and communication professionals. The platinum award was presented for the “Our Campus as a Canvas” issue (fall 2015-winter 2016) and the “One Campus. One Community. One World.” issue (spring-summer 2015).
Spirit was honored again in 2017, receiving a gold MarCom Award for the “Making History” (fall 2016-winter 2017) and “A Day in the Life of Our Campus” (spring-summer 2017) issues.
The fall 2016-winter 2017 issue of Spirit – devoted exclusively to the history of the Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon – received a 2017 Spotlight Award for excellence from the Oregon Chapter of the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA). Spotlight Award winners must demonstrate outstanding performance throughout the research, planning, execution and evaluation of their work. As the organizers note, the Spotlight Awards “benchmark your organization’s communications programs against best practice methodologies around the country.” The communications team spent more than seven months researching, planning, writing and designing the “Making History” commemorative issue of Spirit.
The award-winning Spirit magazine is published twice yearly by the Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon Ministries Corporation. It was preceded by Outlook, the first campus magazine. To learn more or to contact us, write to email@example.com.
Spirit Archives (2002-present)
Acts of Kindness
Fall 2017-Winter 2018
Outlook Archives (1994-2001)